If you can’t grab a burger at the Park, we’ve got the ultimate Homegating Smash Burger!
What exactly is a smash burger? A smash burger is exactly what it sounds like- a burger that has been smashed on the grill. Smash burgers cook quickly, are incredibly juicy and come out with golden brown crisp edges!
The perfect smash burgers are smashed within 30 seconds of being on the grill.
Enjoy this simple, yet delicious recipe- perfect for your Baseball BBQ homegate.
- 2 lbs of 85/15 ground beef (chuck)
- 8 slices of American Cheese
- 8 brioche or potato buns
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ¼ cup ghee (clarified butter- higher smoke point)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder (or your beef seasoning of choice)
- Other burger toppings as desired (bacon, tomato, lettuce)
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½- 1 tablespoons sweet or dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat: Preheat the Grill & use a flat top grill or griddle or a cast iron pan and set to medium-high heat.
- Divide: Divide the meat into 8 sections, roll into balls and set aside.
- Burger Sauce: Make the homemade burger sauce by combining the mayo, dill pickle relish, bbq sauce and paprika and refrigerate.
- Grill the onions: Put a little bit of ghee into the pan and add diced yellow onion on top. Grill until soft.
- Grill Meat: Add meat individually to grill and use your Baseball BBQ Slider Spatula to smash down until about ½ inch thick and hold for 10 seconds. Add some grilled onions to the top of each patty and press them into the patty (don’t over smash the burgers- push down just enough to get onions to stick to the burger).
- Season: Season each patty with salt, pepper & garlic powder (or your beef seasoning of choice).
- Grill & Flip: Grill the patties for 2-3 minutes until a golden brown crust appears around the edges and then flip. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each burger & cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Toast: Toast your buns with a little butter on top.
- Assemble & Enjoy: Remove buns and meat from the grill, assemble burgers with burger sauce on the bottom bun followed by the patty topped with cheese and your desired burger toppings. Finish with a bun!
Serve & enjoy!